Thursday 6 July 2017

Ochre Quarry Abstracts

Abstract Ochre I
14" x 15" - acrylic on canvas paper - $35

Abstract Ochre II
14" x 17" - acrylic on canvas paper - $35
These are plein air works, inspired by the visual sensation of being surrounded by a forest of trees in an abandoned ochre quarry, (situated in the Luberon Valley in Provence) in June. I have painted there before and have done studio paintings based on some of my photos. This, however was the first time I really threw the paint, and tried to interpret what I saw in a less literal fashion. I was pleasantly surprised with the results and hope to bring some of this new found energy into future work.
Here are a few photos to give you an idea of what I saw.....unfortunately the light that morning was quite flat, so the ochre colour was a little on the dull side.








2 comments:

  1. What fun! You seem to have a sixth sense that directs your work. I greatly admire that!
    Always a treat to visit your blog, Patricia, to see you connect with your artwork in new ways.

    ReplyDelete