Thursday 6 August 2015

Northern Escape Abstract

Northern Escape Abstract
30" x 36"  acrylic on canvas  SOLD
This is the second painting based on a small drawing of a typical Haliburton Highlands/Ontario cottage country landscape - and one that I had a lot of fun painting. When I began the painting I wanted to restrict my usual exuberant palette to one that was more muted and neutral, but because I always try to pay attention to what the painting needs as it proceeds, and not to some pre-conceived plan, that idea was abandoned fairly quickly. I thought about adding 'real' texture, but the decided the paint splatters would have to do. I did a lot of drawing back into the painting with soft pastels, which I then fixed with  Spectra Fix  - a wonderful, non-toxic, very safe and easy to use product that anyone who works with pastels or charcoal should try. I am quite happy with this work - it's big and bold - just like what it represents.  Cheers!






1 comment:

  1. Glad you abandoned your neutral palette. These exciting colors have become your signature. Thanks for the tip on the Spectra Fix. I have some, but haven't tried it yet. Someone recommended it; said it keeps color fresh and clean. I can only imagine how stunning this work looks in person in its 30X36 size. Beautiful painting!!

    ReplyDelete