Sunday 27 July 2014

Into the Mystic

Mystic Light
16" x 20"  - acrylic on canvas  SOLD

Earlier in July we spent a delightful weekend visiting my friend MK and her partner at their cottage on a small island on Westlemkoon Lake. It's a large lake with many smallish single dwelling islands, featuring wind-swept pine trees, and large flat rocks that are great for swimming from. While there I took lots of photos of the many wonderful views and they in turn have inspired a number of recent paintings. 
Mystic Light is based on the photo below. You can't help but be struck by the beauty of nature in such a setting. My challenge was to try to paint the sunlight shining through the trees. I took my cue from the great colourist Hans Hoffman who said  "My aim in painting is to create pulsating, luminous, and open surfaces that emanate a mystic light....In nature light creates the colour. In the picture colour creates the light."



No comments:

Post a Comment