Saturday 8 February 2014

Miss Emmy Lou

Miss Emmy Lou
12" x 12" acrylic on canvas
sold
Some friends asked me to paint a portrait of their spaniel which I was happy to do as she is a sweet little dog with very attractive markings that I thought would be fun to work with. I took lots of pictures of her, selected one and began to paint, using a palette that featured purple, magenta and some pthalo blue, on a red ground. The painting looked good initially, but I overworked it and lost the resemblance and finally decided that I needed a different pose. So I took more pictures - however Miss Emmy Lou was not thrilled with another photo shoot - turning her head away every time I snapped the shutter, or sticking out her tongue - and I eventually went back to the first group of photos and found one that looked fine. My husband suggested I stick with her natural colouring, for a change, and I thought why not, though I did give her a few pink hair streaks on the ears. This one came together quickly and successfully. Now I can get back to finishing the mosaic floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment