Tuesday 23 October 2012

Market Day at Apt in Provence

Market Day at Apt
18" x 16"  
acrylic on canvas
SOLD

I started this painting last summer just after returning from Provence. If you have ever been to a market in the south of France you will know how wonderful they are. Busy, colourful and full of food, produce and wonderful things. I wanted to buy everything I saw - particularly the food - but restrained myself - and took pictures instead.

Though I made a good start on the painting in July, I reached a point where I had to take some time to think about it. As you can see it's a busy painting composed of many specific shapes, particularly in the lower half of the canvas, and I really wanted it to look right. Drawing the tent shapes from the photo was a challenge, as was painting them. I returned to this on the weekend and finished it today. I am quite pleased with how it turned out. I think the strong colours and repeating tent shapes in the foreground convey a sense of the market activity, while the colous of the building, tree foliage and sky suggest clear summer morning light.

And here are some of my photos from that and other markets I visited on my trip. Enjoy.













No comments:

Post a Comment